Outstanding Researchers (EB-1B)

This subcategory is reserved for persons who are internationally recognized as outstanding in a specific academic area. The individual must have at least 3 years teaching or research experience in his/her academic field. He/she must be coming to the United States to accept a tenured, or tenure-track, teaching position, or other indefinite or unlimited duration position at a college or university, or a research position at a company with a distinguished research lab in the field of expertise.

In addition, the individual must provide evidence meeting at 2t two of the following 6 criteria:

  1. Receipt of major prizes or awards for outstanding achievement
  2. Membership in associations in the field that requires outstanding achievement of its members
  3. Published material in professional publications written by others about the individual’s work in the field
  4. Participation as a judge of others in the field
  5. Evidence of original scientific research of a major contribution to the field
  6. Authorship of scholarly books or articles in the field

A person seeking to immigrate as an Outstanding Professor or Researcher must have a university, college or company sponsor. Self-sponsorship is not allowed. This subcategory does not require a PERM Labor Certification.