Professionals and Skilled Workers (EB-3)

The most common way an employee becomes a U.S. lawful permanent resident (green card holder) is through employer sponsorship. This requires most employers to conduct a labor market test to determine if there are any qualified U.S. workers. This process is commonly referred to as PERM Labor Certification.  All workers in the EB-3 category require the issuance of a PERM Labor Certification from the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) before the filing of an immigrant visa petition with the USCIS.


To qualify as a professional, a person must possess a U.S. bachelor’s degree or a foreign equivalent and the position must normally require a bachelor’s degree.

Skilled Workers

Skilled workers are individuals who possess at least two years of training or experience in a position that normally requires at least two year of training or experience to discharge the position’s duties.

Other Workers

Other workers are those who are filling positions requiring less than two years training or experience.

A person seeking to immigrate as a Professional, Skilled Worker or Other Worker must have a company sponsor. Self-sponsorship is not allowed.