Trainees (H-3)

The H-3 Trainee category is available for individuals coming to the United States to undergo training in an established training program at a U.S. company or academic institution. The program must not be available in the trainee’s home country and must benefit the trainee in pursuing a career outside the U.S. The trainee must not be engaged in productive employment unless it is incidental and necessary to the training. Further, the training should be primarily in a classroom setting with limited on-the-job training.

The Training Program cannot be longer than 2 years in duration. Further, the H-3 trainee cannot change status to H-1 or L-1 status after the two years of training. Further, the trainee is not allowed to enter the U.S. in H-1 or L-1 status unless the trainee has been outside the U.S. for six months.

The spouse and all unmarried children under age of 21-years old may receive H-4 visas. These family members may attend school in the United States. An H-4 visa holder is not able to work with limited exceptions.